We’ve noticed an increase in parvovirus cases recently so we thought we’d share a few snippets from the treatment section of our parvovirus page. To see the full condition, subscribe or sign up for a free trial today.
Did you know?
- In a recent study, parvovirus-infected puppies that received faecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) in addition to standard therapy showed a faster resolution of diarrhoea compared to dogs that only received standard therapy
- 61% of cases receiving FMT showed resolution of diarrhoea within 48 hours compared to only 5% without
- 10 g of healthy donor faeces diluted in 10 ml 0.9% NaCl and introduced anally to the proximal rectum via a urinary catheter
- Maintain in lateral recumbency for 2 minutes with pelvis raised 45% from the surface
- Perform within 6–12 hrs of admission and repeat q48h until resolution of diarrhoea, or up to five doses
Perira, G.Q., Gomes, L.A., Santos, I.S. et al. (2018)
Fecal microbiota transplantation in puppies with canine parvovirus infection
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine; 32 (2) 707-711. Full text available
Don’t forget environmental control
- Parvovirus can survive in the environment for up to 1 year and is very difficult to kill
- Clean the area thoroughly first as the presence of organic matter, e.g. faeces or blood, can greatly impact the efficacy of disinfectants
- Disinfect the environment with sodium hypochlorite (bleach)
0.75% solution for 1 minute contact time or
0.37% solution with 15 minute contact time
- Steam cleaning for surfaces that do not tolerate bleach
- Careful disposal of faeces
Cavalli, A., Marinaro, M., Desario, C., Corrente, M., Camero, M. and Buonavoglia, C. (2018)
In vitro virucidal activity of sodium hypochlorite against canine parvovirus type 2
Epidemiology and Infection; 146 (15) 2010–2013. Full text available
VETbytes provides the latest evidence-based treatment with its Keep It Simple Summaries (KISS). Quickly access a general overview of how to handle a case, later access the detailed section when you have more time and can reflect upon your learning with our CPD links.
Try VETbytes for 30 days for free, or subscribe for only £9.99/month or £99.00/year (BSAVA members get 33% off). Sign up today.